- People assume that those who are overweight are lazy, undisciplined and self-indulgent
- There are many things that affect metabolism and weight regulation, and these things work differently inside each individual's body
- Too extreme of calorie restriction causes your body to think it's starving, which sets off chemical processes telling you to eat more and also causes your body to perceive starvation and slow metabolism in an attempt to preserve energy. This is why it is so important to eat all 5 of your Medifast meals, your healthy fats and Lean and Green meal.
- A part of our brain is wired for survival, and it creates chemical responses to starvation that we have no control over
#2 The Calorie Myth: All calories are created equal
- The type, not the amount, of calories you consume is what's important.
- The calories we eat contain different amount of nutrients, and this affects how well or poorly our body utilizes them
- Food that enters our bloodstream quickly tends to promote weight gain; food that enters slowly tends to promote weight loss
- Food contains information for you genes that controls how well you metabolize it
#3 The Fat Myth: Eating fat makes us fat
- American Paradox: Over last 40 years, national fat consumption has dropped from 42% to 34% of total calories, but obesity and high BMIs have risen significantly
- There are different types of fat, and they interact with our genes differently: some signal for weight loss and health; others for weight gain
- Essential Omega-3 fats enhance metabolism and promote weight loss
- Trans fat found in processed foods causes weight gain, impair metabolism, and lead to inflammation and diabetes
#4 The Carb Myth: Eating low carb or no carb will make us thin
- Refined or processed carbs slow down our metabolism; complex carbs in their natural state actually speed up metabolism. Medifast meals provide us with high quality carbs our bodies need.
- Fruits, vegetables, buts, seeds and whole grains are all great sources of carbs. While we limit some of these during the weight loss phase, it is a crucial part of transition and maintenance to incorporate all kinds of healthy carbs back into our diet
- Good carbs contain phytonutrients, which are healing plant chemicals essential for optimal health; phytonutrients turn on genes to help us burn fat and slow the aging process
- Focus on unprocessed carbs because they have more fiber and will not quickly turn into sugar inside your body
#5 The Avoidance Myth: Skipping meals will help us to lose weight
- When you eat is just as import as what you eat
- Skipping meals causes our bodies to feel starving, which leads to overeating
- Breakfast is very important because it turns on our metabolism for the day. Be sure to eat your first Medifast meal within 1 hour of waking up
- Our nutrient intake and calories should be spread out throughout the day. This is why we eat 6 meals a day.