Saturday, April 2, 2011

What is going on here?

Rumors have been circling about me not using Medifast.  I will confirm that the rumors are true.  I have some Medifast products left, but as of Monday, March 28th I am no longer using Medifast and stopping very low calorie - low carb dieting.  I lost 75 lbs in 6 months following the 5 and 1 plan, both using all Medifast and also mixing in other similar products. 

You may be wondering "Why fix something that isn't broken?"  The bottom line is that the 5 and 1 low calorie, low carb diet plan is not sustainable for me.  I want to learn how to eat how I will eat for the rest of my life.  I want to learn how to eat a healthy and sustainable diet.  I do know the argument that you should wait for transition and maintenance to hone on these skills.  But the other part is I want to get serious about my fitness and I have not been able to successfully do so on such a low calorie, low carb eating plan.

Starting on Monday, I have been focusing on eating a healthy diet of balanced calories, carbs, protein and fat. I downloaded the My Fitness Pal app for my new Android phone and am following their diet recommendations to lose 2 lbs a week.

Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,240 Calories / Day
Carbs / Day 171 g
Fat / Day 41 g
Protein / Day 47 g

*Net calories consumed = total calories consumed - exercise calories burned.

I am also reading the Body for Life for Women book written by Pam Peeke.  This book is very well rounded because Pam Peeke focuses on the mind, mouth and body as a whole. She has slightly different advice for women depending on what hormonal life stage they are in.  As far as the diet section, she says to eat 5-6 times a day which I am doing.  I also starting working out again.  I have noticed my workouts are better, I can put a lot more effort in, my mental clarity has been better and I just feel great this week!

Results of the first week won't be in until Sunday, but I am giving myself some leeway on the scale since I have made so many radical changes lately.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Congratulations!! I am going to stay on MF for the rest of April (use up my food) and maybe try a diet similar to yours. I was thinking of South Beach. I want to be able to enjoy summer, fruits, yogurt, more fresh vegetables, etc. And I need more energy. Recently I have had trouble with my gallbladder and the doctor thought it might have something to do with MF??

Anyway..enough rambling. Good luck to you! I will keep checking your blog!

Cody Jo said...

South Beach Phase 2 is a really good diet! I am not following it per se, but my choices are definitely similar to South Beach choices. I am trying to eat more low GI foods. I do highly recommend the Body for Life for Women book by Pam Peeke. It is a lot different from Bill Phillips books and she really tailors her approach to women and the unique issues we face.

Jill said...

Cody Jo,

I love the BFL diet (Bill Phillips). I used to follow it consistently and will probably switch back once I go to maintenance. I love that it gave me enough energy to exercise vigorously which really helps with stress. My problem is it offers too many choices and I have someone who wants to cook for me and won't stick to the recipe and adds extra stuff. I am looking forward to seeing your progress. And a big THANK YOU for your recipes.

Sandy "Sugarspice76" said...

I like the South Beach Diet as well. I have actually been making some recipes from the various South Beach Diet Cook books I have. I hope you will continue posting how you are doing on your weight loss journey! Good luck!